Sunday, June 17, 2012

Classic Streusel-Topped Blueberry Muffins


I know..I've been totally MIA these past few weeks, and I hate to say it, but it may also be the case for the next two weeks as well, as they are my last two weeks in China. I'm running low on food, and am starting the process of packing up my life before making the big move back home. Once I'm home though, my mom, sister, and I have big plans to make homemade jelly, and of course goodies for 4th of July. So stay tuned! Some serious pool time is also in my near future, and I can't wait. 

In the meantime, I do (finally) have a recipe to share, and it comes from good ole Betty Crocker. I grew up with the 1992 edition of the Betty Crocker cookbook, and when I went off to college, my mom bought me the same edition (thank you ebay!), as well as when my sister went off to college a year later. I'm not sure if this exact recipe is in the same cookbook or not, as I had to leave my cookbooks in the states, but they turned out exactly how I remember them. They're slightly cakey and sweet with a crunchy crumb on top. Whenever I eat a muffin, I usually pull the bottom off first then eat the muffin top, but with the streusel on top, it made that a little more difficult and messy. Like I care, these totally hit the spot.


Classic Streusel-Topped Blueberry Muffins

Ingredients

Streusel Topping:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons cold butter

Muffins:
3/4 cups milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour 
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Directions

Preheat oven to 400F. Line 12 regular sized muffins cups with paper liners, or spray with cooking spray. 

In a medium bowl, prepare the struesel by mixing the 1/4 cup flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in the butter using a fork or pastry cutter, until mixture is crumbly; set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together milk, oil, and egg until well blended. Add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt all at once and stir until just moistened (batter will be lumpy). Gently stir in blueberries. Divide evenly among muffins cups and sprinkle each with about 1 tablespoon streusel.

Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. If muffins were baking in paper liners, immediately remove from pan to cooling rack. If muffins were baked in a spray pan, leave in pan for about 5 minutes, then remove from pan to cooling rack. Serve warm or cooled. 

Recipe Source: Betty Crocker

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...