Friday, May 24, 2013

Oven Roasted Pulled Pork

I'm not a huge meat eater, and my recipe index clearly shows that. Poultry is okay, and I love fish, but beef and pork usually get the short end of the stick. A pulled pork sandwich however, is a little different. I love bbq sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's is in the pic!), and the meat itself is irresistibly tender, not at all tough. Slow roasting meat in the oven is the way to go I tell ya! The bone literally fell off when I moved it from my dutch oven to a plate. 

I chose Paula Dean's recipe, because of all the stellar reviews, though I did alter it slightly. I thought there was too much salt, pepper, and cayenne, and like many reviewers, I added the garlic powder to the rub instead of the juice. I've reflected my changes below. We had this sandwich along with my new favorite salad, making a wonderful summer lunch. Bon appetit!

Oven Roasted Pulled Pork

Ingredients

1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
4 pound shoulder pork roast
2 cups apple juice
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
Hamburger buns
Your fave barbecue sauce

Directions

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a small bowl. Sprinkle rub all over the pork roast, pressing into the pork. Cover with plastic and refrigerate at least 2 hours (I did mine overnight, so it was ready to go in the morning).

Combine liquid ingredients, and pour into a large Dutch oven. Place pork in the oven, and tightly cover with aluminum foil, then lid. Roast for 4 hours or until fork tender and shreds easily. Brush or baste with cooking liquid every hour.

Remove from oven and let stand until cool enough to handle. Shred pork with a fork or tongs into bite size pieces.

Serve on hamburger buns topped with your favorite barbecue sauce y'all!

Recipe Source: adapted from Paula Dean, via foodnetwork.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...