Monday, May 14, 2012

Chewy Skor Toffee Bits Cookies

When I first moved away from home I was sad to leave my mom and sister, but was more excited then anything else about being on my own. That was nearly 8 years ago (seriously?). Now I’m half a planet away from my family, and I wish more then anything I could have spent mother's day with my mom. We skyped a bit after she had her mother's day brunch (including blueberry stuffed French toast and mimosas...jealous). At any rate, I’ll be home soon enough (sometime next month), and we can celebrate mother’s day and her birthday (June 1) together then. 


Back in December, my awesome mother sent me a Christmas happy package along with a few gifts from my sister. Knowing that I can't find many ingredients in our normal grocery (especially for baking), my mom sent me a giant bag of chocolate chips, and my sister threw in a bag of Skor toffee bits. Did I mention how much I love my family? The chocolate chips have been long gone, mainly because we couldn't get enough of my favorite chocolate chip cookies, but the toffee bits were still hanging out in the cupboard. I'm starting the process of cleaning out the cabinets, since we're returning back to the states somewhat soon, so expect to see more baked goods as I need to rid myself of this year's collection of baking ingredients. This was my first cleaning out the pantry recipe.

A quick google search led me to these amazing cookies. Think: browned butter (aka heaven), toffee, caramel-y goodness. They are awesome, and deserve your immediate attention. I really should have halved the recipe, because I'm worried about getting ill over them. I just ate two for breakfast with a banana. That's healthy, right?
























Looks healthy to me!

Chewy Skor Toffee Bits Cookies

Ingredients

2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 10 oz. package Skor English toffee bits

Directions

In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. 

In a metal skillet, brown 6 tablespoons butter. It should be dark golden brown, foamy, and have a distinct nutty smell. If you're nervous, this site is helpful. When browned, remove from heat and place in a large heat proof bowl. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. When melted, beat in granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla until well blended. Add eggs and blend thoroughly. Gradually add flour mixture and beat well. Stir in the toffee bits.

Place cookie dough in the fridge to firm up a bit, about 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, you can preheat your oven to 350F. 

Drop by rounded tablespoons onto a parchment lined baking sheet. I think parchment is vital in this instance, as even on the parchment the cookies wanted to stick slightly. Blame the toffee.

Bake 9-11 minutes of until lightly browned. They will look WAY underdone, but trust that they will finish cooking on their own. Cool on the pan for about 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe Source: adapted from Food.com

2 comments:

  1. I had to cook mine a lot longer than 11 minutes especially for the first round in the oven. Also, I used tinfoil sprayed with pam and they didn't stick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that! How big were they? Oven temps will of course also very. My oven in Beijing was teeny and got pretty hot, whereas now that I'm back in the states, I'm finding that my oven bakes on the cool side. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoyed them! :)

      Delete

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...