Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Summer Vegetable Pasta Salad

I know it's not quite summer yet, but it sure feels like it in Beijing! Our apartment gets pretty warm throughout the day, and the last thing I want to do is stand over the stove for a meal. Let's just say, we've been eating a lot of sandwiches lately. This pasta salad however, I can handle. If you can stomach the thought of boiling water for pasta, then you have a pretty tasty lunch awaiting you. With real summer heat on the horizon, this salad would be great for barbecues and picnics, not to mention, a great way to take advantage of summer's wonderful produce. 

The recipe below indicates the veggies I chose to use, but you can really use any veggies you have on hand, as this is of course a highly adaptable recipe. Just try to make it as colorful as possible! The vinaigrette is also quite tasty, and is much lighter then it's creamy cousin, so it doesn't feel too heavy.

One a side note, I bought my plane ticket back to the states last night, and couldn't be more thrilled. I'll be home just in time for the 4th of July, and am looking forward to grilling, swimming, and being around family and friends. I've already demanded we have hot dogs, baked beans, and cake. It will be glorious. 

Summer Vegetable Pasta Salad

Ingredients

Pasta 
12 oz. pasta (smaller shapes work best)
2 medium Roma tomatoes
1 medium zucchini
1 medium broccoli crown
1/2 medium red onion
1 bell pepper (I used 1/2 red and 1/2 yellow, because that's what I had on hand)
1/2 bunch parsley (I used a good pinch of dry parsley, as I can't find fresh here)

Vinaigrette
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon dried oregano, or herb of choice
1 large clove garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add the pasta and cook al dente according to the package directions. Drain in a colander and let cool.

While the pasta is cooking, prepare the vegetables. Wash them, then cut into bite sized pieces (especially the broccoli). 

In a very large bowl, prepare the vinaigrette by simply whisking all the ingredients together until fully combined. Add cooled pasta and veggies, and stir until everything is coated in the vinaigrette. 

At this point you can either dig in, or put in the fridge to cool completely and let the flavors marry. I prefer my pasta salad cold. 

Recipe Source: adapted from Budget Bytes

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...