Thursday, May 10, 2012

Peanut Soba Noodle Bowls



In the past month, I think we've had about three days off, so I've had little motivation to cook. We're tired! Plus, what I have cooked hasn't been blog worthy. That is, up until now. 

I first fell in love with soba noodles with this soup, and have been itching to try them in different recipes ever since (I think I just love buckwheat, because I've also found I love buckwheat tea). I thought a peanut sauce sounded perfect, plus, I've never made one myself. I found this recipe on Eat Live Run, and made my own adjustments that I felt were necessary. First, I added garlic to the peanut sauce, and also decided to garnish the noodles with green onions in addition to the cilantro. So delicious, and good for you. The more colorful the plate, the better it is for you! The peanut sauce yields a lot, so feel free to half the sauce recipe. I made the full amount, so I think maybe I'll use it for a salad, or another batch of soba.

Peanut Soba Noodle Bowls

Ingredients

Peanut Sauce:
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/3 cup soy sauce or tamari, whichever you have on hand works
1/3 cup warm water
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons honey
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 knob fresh ginger, chopped or grated (about 2 tablespoons)
1 clove garlic

Noodles:
8 ounces soba noodles
4 small bok choys, rinsed
2 bell peppers (she used 2 red, I used 1 red and 1 yellow, as that's what was cheapest)
16 ounces firm cubed tofu*
1 tablespoon canola oil
Green onion and freshly chopped cilantro for garnish

Directions

Make the peanut sauce by combining all ingredients in a blender or food processor, blending until smooth. If a thinner sauce is desired, add more warm water.

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and heat up the oil. Once the skillet is very hot, add the tofu, and sear for about 8-10 minutes. Don't stir, but toss with the pan instead.

In a large bowl, add the tofu slices to the bell peppers. Bring a large pot of water to boil, and quickly blanch the bok choy for about 30 seconds. Remove, and carefully squeeze away extra water (I used paper towels). Coarsely chop, and add the the bell pepper mixture.

Using the same pot of boiling water, add the noodles and cook according to the package directions. When ready, rinse under cold water and add to the bowl of veggies, and combine.

Divide noodles amongst four bowls, and add about a tablespoon of peanut sauce to each bowl. Top each bowl with fresh minced cilantro and green onions.

*Tofu. It's not my favorite, though I do like it fried and crunchy. I could live with or without it in this recipe, so feel free to leave it out if tofu isn't your thing. That being said, Chris thought there could've been more tofu!

Recipe Source: adapted from Eat Live Run

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...