Sunday, November 25, 2012

Cranberry Orange Pumpkin Muffins

I just got home after what was a loooong day of driving. Did anyone else deal with major traffic in the middle of nowhere? I sure did, and am so glad I'm finally out of the car. Travel aside, I thoroughly enjoyed my trip  home. There was lots of delicious eats, game playing, and down time. I can't wait for Christmas! According to my mom, I apparently didn't cook or bake as much as expected, but I finally got the itch yesterday, and baked these incredible muffins. 

These muffins truly epitomize holiday baking, and are probably one of the best I've ever made. They were ultra moist and full of flavor. I especially loved the bursts of fresh cranberries. I was supposed to bring them back to Cinci with me for the drive and for the school week, but I was a dummy and left them at home. At least I now have an excuse to make them again right away!

I'm also submitting this to Bake Your Own Bread. It's been a while, so I'm happy to contribute this month! :)
BYOB 125 x 125
Cranberry Orange Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (ohhh yeah)
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice*
1/4 teaspoon ginger 
1/2 can pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar**
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Zest of half an orange
6 ounces (half a bag) fresh cranberries, rinsed and patted dry
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 cup pecans, chopped

Directions

Preheat oven to 350F. Line or lightly grease muffin tins.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in a medium bowl. In a larger bowl, add pumpkin, sugars, oil, eggs,vanilla, and orange zest; stir until well combined. Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture, and stir until just combined. Do not over mix. 

In a small bowl, toss the tablespoon of flour with the cranberries. Gently fold cranberries and pecans into the batter. 

Fill muffin cups 2/3 of the way full and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for a few minutes, then remove and allow to cool on a wire rack.

*My mom didn't have all of the spices, so I improvised with a little pumpkin pie spice. Feel free to check out the original recipe if you want to see other options!

**I also sprinkled a little on top for extra crunch. Loved it! :)

Recipe source: adapted from Crepes of Wrath

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm...cranberry and orange is such a wonderful combination - I could go for one right now with my coffee! And I do love a little extra crunch for texture on my muffins...so...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm truly regretting leaving them behind. I wish I could be eating one right now!

      Delete
  2. I was lucky enough to share these with my wonderful Brittany! These are perhaps the best muffins I have ever had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were amazing! A new favorite for sure! Merry Christmas mom! :)

      Delete

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...