Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Overnight Chia Oat Parfaits


I love preparing breakfast the night before. My puffy eye'd self doesn't have to worry about anything but my morning coffee, which can also be programmed to be ready when I get up (though..it's summer..let's be real..I haven't programmed my coffee maker in about two months). I've heard about overnight oats for some time now, but never had enough forethought to make it. Thankfully, I came across this recipe one night, and got up and prepared it immediately. It was nummy, healthy, and very filling! When kept in a mason jar, this little parfait travels well, as evidenced by my most recent road trip. I obviously used strawberries and bananas, but feel free to use whatever fruits you have on hand. A parfait full of red and blue berries would make for an adorable 4th of July breakfast! Enjoy!

Chia Oat Parfaits

Ingredients

1/2 cup oats (I used quick cooking, but you could also used rolled oats)
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 cup almond milk (I used original as it's slightly sweetened)
Optional: 1/2 up to 2 teaspoons agave, honey, or real maple syrup*
Fresh fruit: obviously, I used strawberries and bananas…num!

Directions

The night before, combine oats, chia seeds, milk, and sweetener (if using) in a mason jar or air tight container. Seal, and place in the fridge overnight.

In the morning, layer in a glass or mason jar with fruit in between.

This recipe yields two servings.

*I used half a teaspoon of agave, and it was sweet enough for me. I may even leave it out next time, as the fruit is usually sweet enough for me.

Recipe source: adapted from Pure Ella

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...