Friday, February 24, 2012

Melt-In-Your-Mouth Low Fat Yogurt Pancakes

In a couple of days we're heading out of town to play a few concerts. We're off to Chang Chun which is north of Beijing (there are cities north of Beijing? You lie.) Needless to say, it's going to be freakin cold...ugh. Since we'll be gone about five days, there are some things in the fridge that need to get used before we leave. One such thing is a tub of plain yogurt. I often use yogurt in baked goods in place of oil, so I almost always have some on hand. Having a hankering for pancakes, I Google searched 'yogurt pancakes' and this recipe was one of the first I found. After reading through over 60 comments, where many of which referred to these as "pancracks" (because they're so addicting), I decided I had to try them.

I was not at all disappointed, as these pancakes were seriously SERIOUSLY delicious. The only change I made to the original recipe was the amount of salt. There were several comments stating that the original teaspoon of salt made them incredibly salty. I reduced the amount to 1/4 teaspoon. They were light and delicate, and not anywhere near as heavy as your typical pancake. It took me all of 60 seconds (okay...maaaybe 90) to devour my plate of three. I felt perfectly satisfied with my breakfast, and not at all weighed down. 

I must say though, cooking these pancakes wasn't as enjoyable. The pancakes didn't stick to the pan at all, but they did however, stick to the spatula, making it difficult to flip them. Reading through the comments from the original post, no one else seemed to have had this problem, so it may just be me. If you experience this, I found that lightly greasing the spatula helped. Weird problem to have right? This minor setback will not keep me from making them again. They were just too scrumptious! 

Melt-in-Your-Mouth Low Fat Yogurt Pancakes 
Adapted from One Green Generation


Ingredients

1/2 cup all-purpose flour (slightly more if you like thicker pancakes)
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
1 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2-1 cup fresh or frozen fruit (I used frozen blueberries, but the fruit is optional)
Butter or cooking spray for the pan


Directions

In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Make a hole in the middle. Add wet ingredients into the hole, and whisk until just barely combined, leaving it lumpy.

Allow mixture to sit for at least 5 minutes, more it you can. It will almost double in size, and bubbles will form from the baking soda reacting with the yogurt. 

Heat skillet or electric griddle to medium low. Coat the pan with a thin layer of butter or cooking spray. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to pour the batter. Dot the top of the pancakes with fruit (I used about 6 blueberries per pancake). Pancakes are ready to be flipped when little bubbles form on top. The other side will take less then half the cooking time as the first. Serve with warm syrup, jam, fruit compote..whatever you want! Devour.

FYI: The original recipe said this yields 8 pancakes using 1/3 cup measuring cup. I used 1/4 cup measuring cup and ended up with 7. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...