Saturday, September 22, 2012

Apple Dijon Kale Salad

I told you I had more green recipes up my sleeve, and this one is awesome. It's fruity and full or superfoods (literally: walnuts and kale? c'mon!). A few commenters at Budget Bytes thought the dressing was too vinegar-y. I thought it was great as it was, but maybe start with half and add more until you get the right balance for you. 

This salad makes a fair amount, roughly four main courses, but fear not, it keeps really well thanks to the hearty kale. I just had leftovers for lunch today, and it was even better then last night. The dressing also prevents the apples from browning, so that's not an issue either! I just love eating salads like this one. I always feel so good, knowing I'm eating something good for my body. I must admit though, now that it's starting to cool down outside, I'm quite looking forward to hot soups and comfort food more than salad! Enjoy!

Ingredients

For the dressing:

1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 clove garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
10-15 cranks fresh cracked pepper 

For the salad:

1 bunch kale
1 medium granny smith apple
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts 

Directions

Tear the kale leaves from the stems. Cut the leaves into thin slices and then rinse well under cool water (in a colander). Allow the kale to drain as you prepare the rest of the salad.

In a blender combine the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, clove of garlic, salt, and pepper. Blend until the garlic is minced and the dressing is smooth.

Wash the apple and chop it into chunks. Make sure the kale is as dry as possible and then combine it in a large bowl with the apples, walnuts, and raisins. Pour the dressing on top, starting with half, and toss to coat. Add more dressing as desired

Recipe Source: Budget Bytes 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...