Thursday, September 6, 2012

Coconut Oatmeal Chewies

Let me start out by saying I have been saving this recipe for months. I adore coconut, and was pretty miffed to see that a bag cost nearly $5 at the expat stores in China. I just couldn't make myself pay that much for it while I was there. So, I lived without. That's why during my first shopping trip in Cincinnati, I scooped up a bag ($1.60...heck...yes), with intentions of making these immediately. One month later (heh), I finally got around to it. Thank you Labor day weekend! :)

I'm so so happy that I finally made these, and am also pretty stoked that I froze a batch for later. They were ultra chewy and I loved the toasted coconut taste. Even Chris gobbled them up, and he supposedly hates coconut. I don't see how that's possible, but whatever. Bottom line: if you love coconut, make these. If you don't love coconut, make these. They may change your mind!

Oatmeal Coconut Chewies

Ingredients

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened to cool room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
1 cup quick oats

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350F.

In a large bowl cream together the sugar, eggs, butter and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.

Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a greased or lined (silpat or parchment) baking sheet. Bake at 350F for 9-11 minutes, until the cookies are set but not overly browned (bake a few minutes longer for a crispier version). Remove from oven, and let cool on the cookie sheet for three minutes, before transferring them to a rack to cool completely.

Recipe Source:  Mel's Kitchen Cafe

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...