Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Creamy Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup

I have a very special place in my heart for this soup. When I was playing in the symphony up in Kalamazoo, Michigan (yes, it's a real place!) this was the first meal I had with my host Nancy. Nancy loves to cook, and I'm sure that if she were of my generation, she would likely be a food blogger as well. She rarely repeats a recipe, and staying with her inspired me to branch out of my comfort zone and try new things in the kitchen as well. Nearly every trip to Kalamazoo, I stayed with her, and we would always cook and look at the new Cooking Light magazine together.

I have made this soup several times since I first had it three years ago in her kitchen. I made some adaptations until I found the perfect balance of flavors. You would think the soup would be sweet, but it's not. Serve it with a grilled cheese sandwich or some bruschetta, and you have what I think is the perfect meal.

Creamy Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup

Ingredients

3 tablespoons butter, divided 
1 cup chopped onion 
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg 
4 3/4 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds) 
3 cups chopped carrot (about 1 pound) 
1 small apple, peeled, cored, and chopped 
2 1/2 cups water 
4 cups veggie or chicken broth 
1/4 cup half-and-half 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream 

Directions

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Move onion mixture to side of pan; add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to open space in pan. Increase heat to medium-high; cook 1 minute or until butter begins to brown. Add sweet potatoes, carrots, apple, water, and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Place half of soup mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining soup mixture. Stir in half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls, and top each serving with about 2 teaspoons sour cream.

Recipe Source: Cooking Light-November 2009

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...