Sunday, February 24, 2013

Leek Fritters with Garlic Lemon Cream

It is no secret that I love leeks, and think they should be used as a main ingredient as often as possible. I adore the flavor and love how creamy they become when cooked.

I received the new Smitten Kitchen cookbook as a Christmas gift from my mom, and it was probably my favorite gift. I couldn't stop looking at it. Brimming with beautiful pictures of delicious food, it's a gorgeous book. Before cracking it open, I already knew the first recipe I would make: the leek fritters. I saw a picture floating around on pinterest, but the recipe was not available to me yet, as the book had not been published.

I am so happy I finally got around to making them. They were awesome, and the lemon garlic sour cream compliments them perfectly. I can't wait to cook more from Deb's book. Maybe I'll make every recipe!

Leek Fritters with Garlic Lemon Cream

Ingredients

Fritters:
2 lbs. leeks (about 3 very large)
1/2 teaspoon table salt, plus more for pot
2 scallions, trimmed, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 large egg
Olive or vegetable oil for frying

Garlic lemon cream:
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Few gratings of fresh lemon zest
Pinch or two of salt
1 small garlic clove, minced or crushed

Directions

Trim the leeks, leaving only the white and pale-green parts. Halve them lengthwise, and if they look gritty or dirty, plunge them into cold water and fan the layers about to remove any dirt and grit. On a cutting board, slice the leeks crosswise into 1/4-inch strips.

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, and cook them for 3-4 minutes, until they are slightly softened, but not limp. Drain, and wring them out in a dish towel or piece of cheesecloth. Transfer to a large bowl, and stir in scallions. In a small dish, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir the dry ingredients into the leek mixture, then stir in the egg until the mixture is evenly coated.

Preheat your oven to 250F, and place a baking sheet covered in foil inside. Stack a few paper towels on a large plate. In a large heavy skillet (cast iron is best) heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat until it shimmers. Drop small bunches of the leek mixture onto the skillet and slightly nudge them flatter with the back of your spatula. Cook the fritters until they are golden, about 3 minutes per side.

Drain fritters on paper towels, then transfer to the oven to keep warm while you make the remaining fritters. Let all the fritters rest in the oven for at least 10 minutes after the last one is cooked. Meanwhile, prepare the garlic lemon cream by whisking the ingredients together until smooth. Dollop on each fritter before serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...