Saturday, April 27, 2013

Classic Sour Cream-Topped Cheesecake

Thursday was Chris' birthday. Every year I ask him what cake he wants, and he always says cheesecake. Even when I ask what kind of layered frosted cake he likes best, he doesn't budge, still deeming cheesecake the best. Honestly, who can blame the guy. Cheesecake is incredible, and also one of my favorites. It's such a treat to have cheesecake, since I hardly ever make it. Now that I think about it, I only make it once a year for his birthday! That being said, I think this is the best cheesecake I've made yet. It didn't crack at all which is an achievement by itself. Look how perfect it came out!

Since Chris had a 30-page paper due on his birthday (gross) and I had a concert in the evening, we celebrated with a small potluck last night. It was an interesting menu to say the least. We had a beautiful spring salad with goat cheese, pistachios, and dried cranberries, topped with a fig walnut vinaigrette (thanks Katelyn!), I made rice to go along with some awesome pinto beans (thanks Dan!), a very authentic Bah Kut Teh (thanks AikKhai!), a baguette, red wine (thanks Megumi!), and this cheesecake I made for my honey. It was such an odd combination, but I wouldn't have had it any other way. It was a great night, with good company, delicious food, and a rather intense puzzle (still working on it guys!). We are very fortunate to have such wonderful people in our lives. 
 

Anyhoo, back to the cheesecake! It was super easy to prepare, and I can't recommend it enough. This recipe didn't come from a big name magazine or website like Cooks Illustrated or Bon Appetit, but instead came from good ole Kraft. It's classic, simple, and perfect. If you're looking for a no frills recipe, I think this is it. It also makes for a great breakfast if I do say so myself! Enjoy!

Classic Sour Cream-Topped Cheesecake

Ingredients

1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided**
3 tablespoons butter
3 8 oz. packages cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sour cream

Directions

Preheat oven to 325F.

Mix together graham cracker crumbs, 3 tablespoons sugar, and butter. Press onto bottom of a 9-inch spring form pan. Bake for 10 minutes.

While the crust is baking, beat together cream cheese, 3/4 cup sugar, lemon zest, juice, and 1/2 a teaspoon of the vanilla, until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating on low speed after each just until blended. Pour over prepared crust.

{I then placed a small metal bread pan in the oven with some hot water in it. I had intended on doing a water bath, but forgot. I don't know whether it did anything or not to prevent the cake from cracking, but it obviously didn't hurt!}  

Bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour, or until the center is almost set. Mix sour cream, remaining sugar, and remaining teaspoon vanilla until well blended. Carefully spread over cheesecake. Bake 10 minutes. Run a knife around the rim of the pan to loosen the cake. Cool before removing rim.

Refrigerate 4 hours before serving. Eat plain, or top with jam or a fruit compote (I had some leftover strawberry compote I made. Num!).

**I kept the sugar in a separate small bowl through out the whole process. I took what I needed, so in the end I dumped what was remaining into the sour cream for the topping.

Recipe Source: adapted from Kraft

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...