Thursday, April 25, 2013

Indian-Spiced Turkey Burgers

I am finished with the first year of my doctorate. Where did the time go? It seems like we just got back from China! This year has been mentally and physically exhausting, and I welcome this four month break. 

I have lots of plans for the summer, including spending time with friends. I'm thinking a barbeque for sure. If you all are thinking the same thing, might I suggest making these burgers?

These aren't the most beautiful burgers in the world, but boy are they flavorful. I made one immediately after combining all the ingredients, and per the author's suggestion, also waited until the next day to cook the rest to let the flavors marry. I'm so glad I did. I thought the flavor was great with the first one, but the second was incredible. Served on a toasted bun with lettuce and a little homemade tzatziki, these are probably my new favorite burgers!

Also, if you're in Cinci you should definitely pick up some ground turkey from Findlay Market. At $2.29/lb. for ground dark turkey meat, you can't beat it.

Bottom line...make these ASAP. They are wonderful, and an excellent way to start the summer (spring?)!

I am also submitting this to Souper Sundays over at Kahakai Kitchen, as they not only accept soups, but also salads and sandwiches!

Ingredients

1 lb. ground turkey (I prefer dark meat..yum!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 large onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
1 tablespoon butter, olive oil, or cooking spray.

Directions

In a medium-large bowl, combine the turkey, seasonings, onion, garlic, and ginger. At this point you can cook the turkey right away, though I think it tastes better after marinating in the fridge for a day or two.

Form mixture into 3 ounce patties, about an inch thick. Try not to make patties too thin.

Place a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add your choice of fat.

Gently slide patties onto skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes on the first side, allowing the patties to develop a good char. Carefully flip and cook for 3-4 minutes longer. Resist the urge to flatten or flip patties more than necessary. 

Serve on toasted burger buns with your favorite toppings (FYI..tzatziki totally wins here).

Recipe Source: adapted from chow.com

2 comments:

  1. I bet these taste fantastic! Loving the thick layer of tzatziki--Yum! Thanks for sharing them with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tzatziki makes everything better! :) Glad to be able to share!

      Delete

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...