Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Nick Malgieri's Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I know I already have another oatmeal raisin cookie recipe on my site, but one can never have too many oatmeal raisin cookie recipes. Not only are these cookies soft and chewy, they are (get this) low in fat (only 2 tablespoons of butter!), making them perfect for summer when we all need something a little sweet, but don't want to worry about wearing a bikini.

These cookies are one of my faves. I've made them a few times since I first discovered them a few months ago, but they disappeared so quickly I could never get a picture! To change things up this time around, I added some chocolate chips as well as raisins. You could also add nuts or dried fruit. I think in the fall, I'll even try adding pumpkin in place of the applesauce.  

I put in a request at my public library for Nick Malgieri's book: Perfect Light Desserts: Fabulous Cakes, Cookies, Pies, and More Made with Real Butter, Sugar, Flour, and Eggs, All Under 300 Calories Per Generous Serving, the source of these wonderful cookies. I am not a huge fan of adding things like tofu and beans to desserts to make them a little more healthy. I've tried it, and I just don't like it. I'm a butter girl all the way, and I want the real thing, man! This book looks promising, and I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Nick Malgieri's Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Ingredients

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups rolled oats (not instant)
1/2 cup dark raisins and/or 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and set the rack on the lower and upper thirds of the oven.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and granulated sugar until smooth. Mix in the brown sugar, then the egg, applesauce, and vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients, then the oats and raisins.

Drop the batter by rounded teaspoons 2-inches apart on the baking sheets and use a fork to gently flatten the dough.

Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, or until they “look dull on the surface but are moist and soft”, according to Nick. Rotate baking sheets during baking for even heating.

Once cool, store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...