Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Gnocchi Mac 'n Cheese


I am very particular when it comes to macaroni and cheese for a number of reasons. For starters, my mom's recipe will always be the best (I should really blog about it!), I never put bread crumbs on top, as I prefer the crunch to come from the top layer of cheese and pasta, and I usually find the addition of a béchamel sauce to my mac 'n cheese too floury. You may be surprised to learn that the recipe I'm sharing with you today has both panko bread crumbs on top and a béchamel sauce, and it is to die for.

This is what I would like to call mac 'n cheese for grown ups. Full of stinky cheese, Dijon mustard, and herbed panko, it is ridiculously tasty. Bon appétit!

Gnocchi Mac 'n Cheese

Ingredients

1 lb. store-bought gnocchi (or you can make your own)
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons garlic, pressed (about 2 cloves)
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup milk (I used 2%)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup grated Gruyere*
1/2 cup grated Parmesan*
1/4 cup to 1/3 of a cup herbed panko bread crumbs, depending on what cheese to crumb ratio you desire (my panko was plain, I added a pinch or two of Italian Seasoning)
Salt and pepper to taste 

Directions

Preheat oven to 375F

Place gnocchi in a pot of boiling salted water and cook until they float to the surface, just a couple of minutes. Drain and place in a single layer in a 1 1/2 quart shallow baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.

Next, prepare the béchamel. Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Next, whisk in the flour until it thickens and bubbles, then whisk in milk and Dijon. Continue to whisk the mixture until slightly thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Combine the Gruyere and Parmesan, and reserve 1/3 cup for the topping. Add remaining 2/3 cup cheese by the handful to the milk mixture, stirring until melted before adding more. Once all the cheese is melted, taste the sauce, and season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the gnocchi.

In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/3 cup cheese and panko. Sprinkle evenly over the gnocchi. 

Bake the gnocchi until they puff and the cheese is golden and bubbly, about 25 minutes. Let the gnocchi rest before serving.

*The original recipe called for 1/3 cup each of Gruyere, Fontina, and Parmesan. I only had Parmesan and Gruyere, and rarely have all three at a time, but if you do, go for it! 

Recipe Source: adapted from Deliciously Declassified

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...