Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Quick and Easy Sandwich Bread

I'm starting the process of cleaning out my apartment by getting rid things I don't want to move with me to DC (!!!). I started by filling an entire box up with old magazines…Bon Appetit, Cooking Light, Better Homes and Gardens etc. I was just getting ready to get rid of a Cooks Illustrated Magazine (which I didn't order…some mild drama with they're company! Grrr...), when I saw a recipe I must have missed before. It was an easy sandwich bread recipe that promised minimal kneading, no shaping, and could be ready in less than two hours. I was sold, and got to baking right away!

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to make my own sandwich bread. None of them were disasters, and all were eaten, though none were great. Usually the bread I bake is somewhat dense, even though it feels like I'm doing everything right! However, this recipe delivered. It made wonderful chicken sandwiches, and super crunchy toast. Plus, look at all those holes! So pretty. With the start of the school year coming up, give this recipe a go. It's so easy and quick, there's no excuse to not have fresh bread every week! :)

Quick and Easy Sandwich Bread

Notes: This is a very wet dough…do not be alarmed! That is why you should use a paddle attachment instead of a dough hook. A paddle lends itself to faster, more aggressive, kneading. I haven't tried making this by hand, so I don't know how it would turn out. Also, bread flour is a must. Since you're doing very little kneading, you need the extra gluten! Since the dough isn't shaped, you won't have that perfectly smooth top you find with shape loaves…a small sacrifice. 

Ingredients

2 cups (11 ounces) bread flour
6 tablespoons whole wheat flour
2 1/4 teaspoons instant or rapid-rise yeast
1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons warm water (120 degrees)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon honey
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten with 1 teaspoon water and a pinch of salt (I may try without next time, as parts of the loaf had an eggy taste. It wasn't bad, but I'm curious how it would taste without it)

Directions

In bowl of a stand mixer, whisk bread flour, whole-wheat flour, and yeast together. Add 1 1/4 cups warm water, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and honey. Fit stand mixer with paddle and mix on low speed for 1 minute. Increase speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes longer. Remove bowl and paddle from mixer. Scrape down bowl and paddle, leaving paddle in batter. Cover with plastic wrap and let batter rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 20 minutes.

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 8 1/2 by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan with vegetable oil spray. Dissolve salt in remaining 2 tablespoons warm water. When batter has doubled, attach bowl and paddle to mixer. Add salt water mixture and mix on low speed until water is mostly incorporated, about 40 seconds. Increase speed to medium and mix until thoroughly combined, about 1 minute, scraping down paddle of necessary. Transfer batter to prepared pan and smooth surface with greased rubber spatula. Cover and leave in warm place until batter reaches 1/2 inch below edge of pan, 15-20 minutes. Uncover and let rise until center of batter is level with edge of pan, 5 to 10 minutes longer.

Gently brush top of risen loaf with egg mixture, if using. Bake until deep golden brown and loaf registers 208-210 degrees, 40-45 minutes. Using dish towels, carefully invert bread onto wire rack. Reinvert loaf and brush top and sides with remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter. Let cool completely before slicing.

Recipe Source: Cook's Illustrated January/February 2014

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...