Monday, April 16, 2012

Radish Butter


I never ate a radish until about two years ago. I was a bit skeptical, but was surprised to find that I actually loved the fuchsia peppery vegetable, and it has been making frequent appearances in my salads ever since.  I just adore their spicy crunch, especially when paired with crispy cool cucumbers and other delicious veggies. 

This however, is not a salad, but a great little butter spread instead. Add the radishes to some sweet creamy butter, smear over toast, and you have a great bread plate going on for dinner. If you're not sure about radishes, give this a try. The radishes are not overpowering, and add a subtle peppery-ness, taking plain old butter to the next level.


Plus, they're so pretty and pink!


Radish Butter
Seen on Eating for England, who adapted it from Martha Stewart

Ingredients

4 medium to large radishes, cleaned, root ends trimmed
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Toasted bread or baguette, to serve

Directions
Grate radishes on the large holes of a box grater*. Place on paper towels, and squeeze out excess liquid. Combine radishes and butter in a small bowl; mix well.

Spread onto toasted baguette and season with salt and pepper.

*I only have one grater with me here in China, and it has smaller holes. I think if you use a grater with large holes, the radish flavor will be stronger.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...