Sunday, April 29, 2012

Fried Egg and Frisée Salad Sandwich

I have been one busy bee. In the past two weeks, we've had one day off of work. Thankfully that day was Chris' birthday. It was a relaxing day, including pizza at our favorite pizza place and a homemade cheesecake (beaming with pride here...I totally rigged it in the easy bake and it was awesome). 

I actually feel pretty bad for Chris. Wanna know why? He and Eloy are off sweating away at soccer in yucky Beijing air, while I'm at home eating this sandwich. It's really not fair at all, because he would go apey over this sandwich. I'm a terrible person aren't I? Maybe if he's sweet, I'll make him one when he gets home. Heck, I may make another one for me too when he gets home!

This is a grown up's eggy sandwich (Yes, "eggy". Just be happy I didn't call the fried egg a "dunkie middle"). It has some wonderful flavors going on, largely from the delicious Salade Lyonnaise. Add a perfectly fried egg and blue cheese? Pure bliss. It is messy and awesome, and I urge you to make it immediately. 

Oh baby.

Fried Egg and Frisée Salad Sandwich

Makes 2 Sandwiches

Ingredients
Two rolls, or sliced french bread
1 1/2 cups frisée (French curly endive), torn into bite sized pieces
1 bacon slice, preferably thick sliced (needs some fat on it!)
1 tablespoon minced shallot or onion
1 teaspoon smooth Dijon mustard
4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1/8-1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese, depending on preference
1-2 teaspoons unsalted butter
2 large eggs
Freshly ground salt and pepper

Directions
Place bread in the oven to toast.

Place frisée in a medium bowl. Cut bacon into 1/4 inch wide lardons. In a small heavy skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, or until crisp. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel, reserving bacon fat in the pan (my bacon wasn't too fatty so I added a touch of oil). Add shallot to bacon fat and cook for one minute, stirring. Add red wine vinegar, and let it hiss and bubble for about 20-30 seconds, then remove from heat and whisk in the Dijon. Immediately pour hot dressing over frisée, and toss with drained lardons, salt, and pepper.

Remove bread from the oven, and divide the salad between each bottom bun/slice. It will seem like a lot, but you want it, believe me. Top each salad pile with blue cheese.

Reheat skillet over medium-high heat. Crack open the egg into the pan, reduce heat to medium, and cover with a lid. Check on the egg after a minute or two. The white should be cooked, but the yellow still runny. Do not overcook. If you do, make another egg. Deb suggests flipping the egg over and letting it cook for another 20-30 seconds to help reduce the mess, but I didn't do this. I liked the mess.

Remove the egg from the pan, and place it on top of the salad. 

FYI, the salad by itself is pretty awesome, if you have any leftovers. 

Recipe Source: adapted from Smitten Kitchen

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious,definately making this,those pics are drool-worthy! Just became a member :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Looking back at this pic makes me want the sandwich again...like right this second! Thanks for becoming a member! :)

      Delete

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...