Friday, January 24, 2014

Broiled Grapefruit with Spiced Brown Sugar

How have I gone nearly 27.5 years without ever trying broiled grapefruit?? It's a revelation people! The smell that came from my oven was incredible...so much so that I want to write Yankee Candle Co. asking that they make a broiled grapefruit scented candle. I was worried that I wouldn't care for hot grapefruit (maybe this is TMI..but I couldn't get the thought of stomach acid out of my head...blech), but curiosity got the best of me, so I gave it a go. Obviously, it was a good move.

I've seen recipes all over the blogosphere, so I kind of just did my own thing here. One thing I noticed was that all the recipes I saw asked for at least 2 tablespoons per grapefruit, which seemed like an awful lot to me, especially if this is breakfast. Because they're in season, I've been eating grapefruit all week without sugar and think they're wonderful. When I first tried this out, I only broiled one half, partially because I wanted to try it with less sugar, and also because I wasn't sure I would actually like it and I didn't want to waste an entire grapefruit. With my first attempt, I cut the sugar to about 1.5 teaspoons, and thought it was great, but it didn't get as caramel-y as I was expecting. For the second half, I went with a full tablespoon, and it was also delicious, with a little more caramel taste and a nummy syrup that accumulated on the bottom (which I promptly drizzled on top). In a nutshell, I loved them either way, and the addition of a little cinnamon and ginger to the sugar mixture was stunning. The full sugar version is what I'm sharing with you below. 

Playing with grapefruit when school is delayed because of weather is fun. Grateful for the time to experiment! Enjoy :)


Broiled Grapefruit with Spiced Brown Sugar

Ingredients

1 grapefruit
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Pinch of ground ginger
Pinch of cinnamon

Directions

In a tiny prep bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger.

Set the oven to broil and place a rack on the top shelf of the oven. You want the grapefruit to be very close to the broiler!

Take your grapefruit and cut it in half and segment with a paring knife. You may need to trim the bottoms of the grapefruit so it sits up straight.

Place in a broiler safe pan and sprinkle with brown sugar mixture. Place in the over under the broiler, and bake for 7-10 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on it towards the end.

Remove from the oven and serve warm.

Recipe Source: adapted from several places such as here and here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...