Thursday, January 16, 2014

Maple, Butter, and Sea Salt Popcorn

Every time I make homemade popcorn, I can't stop staring at the pot, and giggle with excitement when the kernels go flying. I feel like a kid, but it just doesn't get old. It's sort of like how I squeal every time I open a bottle of champagne...I just can't help it! After reading a few articles about how microwave popcorn can potentially cause cancer, I decided to quit buying the stuff and make it myself. Not only is it fun to make, it's incredibly cheap as well!

This recipe has been a long time coming. My first attempt was this past summer, and though it was absolutely delicious, the popcorn wasn't crisp enough, but was chewy instead after I added the maple mixture. The solution was simple (though I wish I had learned it sooner, two major fails later): bake the popcorn afterwards, to restore it's crunch. If you love kettle corn, I'm sure you'll love your popcorn sweetened with maple syrup. Definitely a winner! I can't wait to try other versions, maybe I'll go savory next time. I'll keep you posted!!

P.S. The wood you see in the pictures is my gorgeous new cutting board my sister got me for Christmas. I love it! Thanks Becca!! xoxo



Maple, Butter, and Sea Salt Popcorn

Ingredients

1 cup popcorn kernels (or 6 cups popped popcorn)
3 tablespoons butter, separated
1/3 cup real maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
Sea salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 325F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large, heavy bottomed pot (soup or stock pot), over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Pour in the popcorn kernels. Cover pot with lid and occasionally shake to move the kernels around to prevent burning. When popping slows, remove from stove top and set aside.

In a small saucepan, over medium heat, melt remaining tablespoon of butter. Once butter is melted, add the maple syrup. Stir to combine and heat syrup through. Take off heat and stir in vanilla. Pour over popcorn and toss quickly to coat.

Spread popped corn into a single layer onto the prepared baking sheets and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and allow to cool before eating (don't worry..it doesn't take long!). Store in an airtight container.

Recipe source: adapted from This Homemade Life

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...