Monday, January 20, 2014

Creamy White Turkey Chili

I made this chili during the summer when I was yearning for cooler weather. Now it's the opposite! I can't wait for summer. I'm not sure if it's because I'm tired of being in school, or if it's because I want to wear dresses and sandals again. Regardless, warm weather needs to hurry up and get here!

Back to the chili, it will definitely warm you up, and is incredibly satisfying. When I made it before, I followed the original recipe, and cooked cubed chicken breast with the onion (you can refer to those instructions from the recipe source). This time around, I used shredded turkey and turkey stock instead, as I had both lingering in my freezer from Thanksgiving. It worked just as well as chicken would of course, though a rotisserie chicken would add even more flavor I'm sure! Comfort food like this warms my body and soul, and will likely be what gets me through this winter. So far, the cold has already been pretty brutal, and I don't think it's going anywhere any time soon (I hear there will be another polar vortex? Say wha?). Stay warm friends, and enjoy this hearty chili!

I've submitted this recipe to Souper Sundays over at Kahakai Kitchen, so check it out this coming Sunday! There's always a great lineup!

Creamy White Turkey Chili

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups cooked turkey, shredded (rotisserie chicken would be great with this)
2 (15.5 ounce) cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 3/4 cups turkey stock (or chicken stock)
2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chiles
1 cup reduced fat sour cream
1/4 cup cream or half-and-half
Garnish with chopped cilantro, green onions, and/or avocado.

Directions

In a large Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, and cook,  stirring occasionally, until it begins to soften, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, salt, cumin, oregano, black pepper, and cayenne, and sauté 30-60 seconds more, just until fragrant.

Add turkey, beans, stock, and chiles. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.

Recipe Source: adapted from Annie's Eats

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...