Friday, March 23, 2012

Alphabet Soup

Yes, I am twelve years old. I couldn't help but buy the package of alphabet pasta, they're just too stinkin' cute! The day I made this we had our first snowfall in Beijing. Yes, in mid-late March. While it seems like Spring is nearly in full swing in many parts of America, we have snow in Asia. I'm hoping this surprise cold snap doesn't last. Last week we hit 50 degrees and I was nearly skipping to lunch that day. Heh..that would be a sight. I'm already stared at enough, people would probably start taking pictures of the crazy American girl!

Anyways, with snow on the ground I decided this soup would be great for lunch. It's simple, healthy, and delicious. The only change I made to the original recipe was adding canned diced tomatoes instead of water. I loved the addition, and I think you will too! Whether you have kids, or are a big kid like me, this is perfect for you!

Alphabet Soup

Ingredients

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups chopped yellow onion
1 1/2 cups celery
1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
2 teaspoons of Emeril's Bam, recipe follows
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 quarts low-sodium chicken broth (use veggie broth to make it vegetarian!)
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 cup alphabet pasta

Directions

Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, and Bam, and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock, canned tomatoes, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 35 minutes. Add the alphabet pasta and stir well. Simmer until the pasta is cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Remove from heat. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.

Bam Seasoning:

3 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregeno
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper

I was missing a few of these spices, but it was still fragrant and wonderful. Just use what you have! I also halved the recipe, as I didn't want nearly a cup of seasoning. You can use this seasoning for anything else you want including soups, pizza, sauces, steak, etc. Bam!!

Recipe Source: adapted from Emeril Lagasse

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...