Saturday, March 31, 2012

Leek Toasts with Blue Cheese

Wow oh wow were these good. I mean "slap yo momma" good. I thought these would be perfect for me and Chris, as it combines some of our favorite things. I think Chris would totally live in a house made of blue cheese, I could lay in a bed of leeks all day (well...maybe not...there'd probably be a lot of dirt..ew), and good bread? We will make ourselves sick eating bread and butter (food coma).

The first thought that entered my mind after my first bite was "creamy..so so creamy". I may have actually said that aloud now that I think about it. I was alone...don't judge me. Slowly cooking the leeks on the stove with a little butter and oil transforms them into the most decadent, amazing, creamy thing ever. I really liked the blue cheese, but any cheese could easily work here: feta (omg), goat cheese, Parmesan, etc. Chris thought they were okay, even with the blue cheese (gasp!). I think he thought they were too plain. He's wrong (sorry honey).

This would be a great appetizer, or a light lunch. I chose the latter, accompanied by an apple the size of my head. 

Leek Toasts with Blue Cheese
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds leeks (about 3 big leeks), lengthwise and white and pale green parts sliced 1/4-inch thick (about 3 generous cups of slices)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for brushing toasts
Coarse salt
Freshly ground black pepper
6 medium-sized or 12 baguette-sized 1/2-inch slices of bread of your choice 
2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled 
Few drops of lemon juice (optional-totally missed this...oops. Must try!)
Directions
Fill a large bowl with cold water. Add leeks and use your hands to slosh them around, separating the rings and letting the dirt and grit fall to the bottom.

Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium. Once hot, add butter and olive oil until they're fully melted and a bit sizzly. Strain leek slices and add them to the pan, still wet. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and cook leeks for 25 minutes, stirring them occasionally. My stove can't seem to get a low flame, so mine were done in about 15 minutes, as they were starting to brown. Just keep checking! Adjust seasoning to taste.

While leeks cook, brush bread slices with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt. Run under the broiler until lightly toasted. You may either spread the cheese you're using on now, while the toasts are hot, or sprinkle it on at the end. Divide leeks among toasts. Sprinkle with cheese, if you haven't spread it underneath. Add a few drops of lemon juice, if desired. Serve immediately, or gently rewarm a bit later.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...