Saturday, March 3, 2012

Bok Choy with Bacon

I never had bok choy until I moved to China. I would always see it in grocery stores, but never knew what to do with it. Do you eat it raw in a salad? Soups? Steamed? 

In China, most of the time it's served hot and wilted, usually cooked by a quick fry. The first time I had it in a restaurant here, I was immediately in love, and every time it's served on one of our trips, I scoop a big pile onto my plate. Since bok choy is so abundant here (and super cheap!) I decided I wanted to try cooking some at home. As you can imagine, we eat a lot of Chinese food, so Chris hasn't been in the mood for Chinese when we have another choice. Well, today Chris and Eloy went to play soccer with some people from our orchestra, so I had the afternoon to myself and decided I would make what I wanted: bok choy with bacon. 

I bought the bok choy weeks ago, and it kept amazingly well. When I first saw this recipe, I immediately added it to my list, because anything that has bacon in it has got to be a winner. Bacon is magical, period. I made this as a side to some rice with green onions and steamed dumplings. Of course it was amazing. Such a simple side dish with lots of flavor, and a little kick of spice. I think I made this awesome lunch from start to finish in about 20 minutes (and I'm not the fastest chopper..gotta take care of the flutie fingers!) If you're new to bok choy, or are searching for ways to cook bok choy (hi Katie!), give this quick and simple recipe a go. You'll really love it!

Bok Choy with Bacon

Ingredients

4 slices bacon, chopped
2 pounds baby bok choy, with ends cut off
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 a small red onion, chopped
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt to taste

Directions

Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy (or medium low heat, depending on your stove). Remove bacon, reserving one tablespoon grease in the skillet. Add the olive oil, onion, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Cook and stir over medium heat until the onions start to become tender.

Add the bok choy, toss, and place a lid on the pan. Let cook for 3-5 minutes. Remove the lid; cook and stir until the bok choy is tender but still crunchy, about 2 minutes. Stir in the bacon, and season with salt. Serve piping hot!

Recipe Source: adapted from AllRecipes.com

3 comments:

  1. Yumo!!!! so got try this. I always cook Regular Cabbage the same way! Love it, I will so try Bok Choy next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm..I'll have to try the cabbage too..sounds good! :)

    ReplyDelete

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...