Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pastelli: Sesame and Pistachio Bites

Remember when I made Sesame Chicken Pasta Salad? Well I was left with cups of sesame seeds, and had no idea what to do with them. As if Heather from thegirlichef read my mind, she posted these Pastelli a few days ago. I had everything on hand, and made them pretty much immediately. They're the cutest little snack bites!  I was worried they were going to be super sweet because the ingredients consisted of only sugar, sesame seeds, and nuts. There was no need to worry, because though they are sweet, they're more rich then anything else. They are  earthy, chewy, and delicious. I've been eating one or two at a time, usually the second I walk through the door from work. Normally I just stare at the contents of my cabinets for about five minutes and give up due to laziness and "lack of food" (hah!), so I can't tell you how nice it is to have a delicious snack waiting for me when I get home!

Pastelli
Adapted from thegirlichef, who adapted it from Food From Many Greek Kitchens

Ingredients
3/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1/3 cup shelled pistachios, cut in half
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey

Directions
Toast sesame seeds and pistachios in a nonstick skillet over low heat until lightly golden and fragrant. Pour onto a plate or bowl and set aside.

Return skillet to heat and add sugar. Cook, without stirring (I ended up moving the pan around a bit to distribute the sugar better), until it melts and becomes lightly golden. Carefully add honey to the skillet. Working quickly, use a heatproof rubber scraper/spatula to stir in the sesame seeds and pistachios. It should be sticky and thick.

Pour/scrape the mixture out onto a flat heat-proof surface (parchment lined tray, silpat, marble slab, etc.), and flatten a bit with a spatula or spoon. Dip your hands in cold water (as often as necessary) and carefully form a rectangular shape that is about 6 x 7 inches and 1/4 inch thick. 

Let it sit for a few minutes to allow to set up, then cut into small bite sized pieces or rectangles. Don't wait too long or it will be difficult to cut.

I think next time I may try adding some golden raisins. Num no??

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...